Ask This Old House landscape contractor Jenn Nawada demonstrates how to build a raised garden bed in her backyard as part of This Old House: Live [https://www.thisoldhouse.com/21191475/this-old-house-live-content-schedule]—an initiative providing daily programming and opportunities to connect with our experts during these challenging times.
SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Time: 2-3 hours
Raised garden bed kit [https://amzn.to/2WWKIkL]
Landscape fabric [https://amzn.to/3bIzpB0 ]
Potting soil mix (7 bags) [https://amzn.to/2Vb33YJ]
In-ground potting soil (6 bags) [https://amzn.to/3aVfvm2]
Drill driver [https://amzn.to/2UUhOjC]
Steps for Building a Raised Garden Bed:
1. Attach the support brackets to the center of the cedar boards using the drill driver and screws. There should be two boards of the same length stacked one on top of the other to reach the 15” height.
2. Insert the sides into the corner brackets. Secure them with the drill driver.
3. Insert the plastic cover into all four corners.
4. Prep the location in the yard for the garden bed. Be sure the area gets plenty of sunlight. Cut away any grass and rake out the soil to ensure a smooth, even base.
5. Put the frame of the bed in place and check it for level. Fill in any low spots with soil until the bed is level.
6. Put a layer of landscape fabric along the bottom of the inside of the garden bed to keep out weeds.
7. Pour the soil into the garden bed on top of the landscape fabric. Even it out with a rake.
8. When the weather is warm enough, plant the seedlings in the bed.
About This Old House: Live
In these challenging times with so many people at home seeking ways to pass the time productively, This Old House is launching “This Old House: Live” — daily programing and opportunities to connect with our experts.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
Renovation Ideas, How To Fix, How To Install, How To Build
How to Build a Raised Garden Bed | This Old House: Live
[Read More …]
Source: Homes and Lifestyle